Bucket Hat

My younger daughter is going camping with her Brownie unit, so she needs a hat.  They are required to have a hat with a full brim (not just a ball cap).  She has a Girl Guides hat, but it is getting too small for her so she needed a bigger one.  We considered buying a bigger Guide hat, but she wanted pink, not blue.


I found a free hat pattern, so I made her one.  In general, this is a great pattern for a simple project.  I used a 3/8″ seam allowance because that is the width of my presser foot and I was too lazy to line up with anything else.  It all turned out okay.  I didn’t have denim, but I wanted the hat to be stiff enough and I didn’t want to add interfacing, so I used some leftover pink twill.

Because this hat is going to be used (meaning it will probably be dropped in mud and might be lost), I wanted it to be a quick project.  I was not going to bother hand-stitching the turning opening closed, so I added another stitching line close to the edge of the hat to keep everything closed.


It took a bit longer than an hour to make and I used leftover fabric, so I didn’t have to buy anything.  It will also stand out among the sea of blue Guide hats, so if it does get lost, it should be easy to find.

Scroll to Top